Subscribe in a reader

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Gaming enlists with the US Army

According to an article by GamePro the US Army is taking advantage of the realistic quality of today's current video games. The Army will be spending a reported $57 million and using the Crytek's CryEngine 3, the engine behind Crysis 2, to come up with the "most realistic video game ever made." 

As prior Army and a current gamer I can honestly say that I am a little jealous. I can only imagine how intense this "game" will be. Users will have a head mounted display attached to their helmets and a rucksack packed with the latest gaming tech. It also will have 360 degree sound, motion capture and extreme in field customization so that the combat area can be updated for current missions.

To be honest, I am some what surprised someone didn't decide to do this long ago. While I personally did enjoy the "urban training" that I did while in the Army. It seemed less than realistic with a very limited training area and less than realistic buildings and terrain. Not to mention that you had to have a pretty good imagination and the ability to view your buddies as the enemy. All together it was fun and better than nothing but not anywhere what I would think a soldier would need to get ready for actual combat.

No comments:

Post a Comment